82VS Venture Associate
Full Time | Apply Here
We are Alloy Therapeutics—a biotechnology ecosystem company empowering the global scientific community to make better medicines together. Through a community of partners, we democratize access to pre-competitive tools, technologies, services, and company creation capabilities that are foundational for discovering and developing therapeutic biologics. The company facilitates affordable, non-exclusive access to the entire drug discovery community from academic scientists, small and medium biotech, to the largest biopharma. At Alloy, we believe our industry should compete on getting the best drugs to patients as quickly as possible, not exclusive access to the best platforms. As a reflection of our relentless commitment to the scientific community, we reinvest 100% of its revenue in innovation and access to innovation. MAY THE BEST DRUG WIN.
Alloy is headquartered in Waltham, MA with additional labs in Cambridge, UK; Basel, CH; San Francisco, CA; and Athens, GA. Successful members thrive in our shared culture of accountability, deliberate trust, and open communication. As a team we aspire to work together to exceed expectations and collectively contribute across the global organization to always maintain our nimble, startup culture. Come thrive at Alloy!
82VS was launched in 2020 to allow company builders to efficiently launch new asset-centric companies leveraging Alloy’s platforms, services, and company creation infrastructure. To date 82VS has founded nine asset-focused companies developing new medicines across the areas of oncology, immunology, ophthalmology, neurology, and rare diseases. Our current companies are developing antibody, antisense oligonucleotide, and TCR mimic therapeutics, but we are also working actively to build out multimodal therapeutics and expand our delivery capabilities (e.g., LNPs, peptides).
We are a venture studio leveraging Alloy’s pre-competitive drug discovery platforms. Established drug discovery, scientific, and lab resources allow entrepreneurs to start their first experiment on day one.
We partner with academics, entrepreneurs, target-rich companies, pharma, and VC. We lead with our drug discovery work, helping others advance targets of interest.
We build asset-focused companies while continuing to incorporate new modalities and drug discovery platforms accessible throughout the Alloy ecosystem. Alloy creates new platforms and services on demand to support individual new companies if needed.
We industrialize repeatable company launch processes across legal, HR, finance, operations, and marketing to minimize startup time and allow scientists to focus on the science.
As a Venture Associate, you will work and collaborate across scientific, operational, and business areas to build new biotech companies from idea to Series A. You will work daily with Founders to help them build their ideas into companies, and also have space to explore your own ideas. This role requires a PhD and a tremendous passion for advancing science into medicines for patients.
This role will report to a Venture Partner with autonomy owning various stakeholders, projects, and initiatives in a dynamic start-up environment while keeping up the pace of 82VS. This is you!
How You’ll Drive Impact
- Collaborate: support Venture Partners with deep science knowledge to create new companies from ideas; includes identifying drug targets, designing experiments, exploring disease pathology, making slides, analyzing business transactions, reading scientific papers, and writing memos
- Explore: constantly explore new ideas or areas of science and medicine; learn about new company ideas you find exciting and interesting
- Problem-Solve: take the initiative to identify and tackle new challenges; apply logic, resourcefulness, and imagination to develop creative and effective solutions to problems
- Communicate: distill complex scientific information into company stories and pitch decks for a broad set of audiences from domain experts to non-scientists
- Partner: engage with company Founders broadly across multiple companies and across the larger Alloy Therapeutics ecosystem; proactively help them identify challenges and develop solutions
Why We Value You
- You have deep scientific expertise in one or more areas which adds to the collective Alloy and 82VS team knowledge and perspective
- You read scientific journals and biotech newsletters not because you have to, but because you want to
- You are comfortable learning about new areas of knowledge with which you have limited familiarity
- You have a clear sense of what ‘good’ or ‘bad’ science looks like, and are great at figuring out what the most critical “deal killing” experiment would be to evaluate a scientific idea
- You have strong communication skills including verbal, written, and slidecraft
- You have demonstrated an incredible work ethic, strong time management skills, and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- You are comfortable identifying, proposing, structuring, and advancing projects independently
- You thrive as a member of a team, collaborating with others, and helping others with challenges they face
- You lead from the front and exhibit core principles of followership including self-efficacy, humility, and commitment
- You are generous when others are needy, greedy, or fearful
- PhD required in biosciences or a field related to the work at 82VS and Alloy
- Professional experiences or internships (e.g., consulting, startup, VC, pharma)
- Ability to work onsite in Waltham, MA 2-3 days per week
- Ability to work across various US and international time zones
- Accommodate occasional travel as needed (10%)
Taking Care of Our People
We support the individuality of what people need to do outside of work to empower them to do their best at work. While you focus on making better medicine together, we focus on programs and benefits that support a diverse and growing team. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, Alloy offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits starting from day one.
- Competitive base and equity compensation
- 401(k) company match and financial planning
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off) and flexible schedules
- Generous personal and family medical, dental and vision benefits with 90% of premiums and deductibles covered
- Company-paid disability (STD, LTD) and life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Family planning support up to $50,000 (e.g. IVF/PGT, adoption, surrogacy, egg retrieval)
- Flexible work schedule built around our team-driven philosophy
- International travel insurance
- Annual stipend for continuing education with commitment to your career through individualized professional development plan
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Here at Alloy, we democratize capabilities for discovering and developing therapeutic biologics. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel Alloy is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.
Alloy Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.